The Production Foreperson/Supervisor will oversee and manage production shift employees and ensure compliance of quality, productivity, and safety throughout the shift. Shift Forepersons/ Supervisors will work an average of 45 hours a week with a rotating scheduled Saturday of 6 hours and occasional all shift mandatory Saturday.
KEY PERFORMANCE INDICATORS:
- Reduction in Contamination Issues
- Meets and/or exceeds Production Goals and Expectations
- Monitors Labor Costs
- Monitors Employee and Machine Efficiencies
ESSENTIAL TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Operate industrial forklift to push, pull, lift, stack and move product and materials.
- Continually monitor inventory levels against production needs and react accordingly.
- Review and Delegate Run orders, sign off when completed.
- Complete Daily Supervisor Checklist
- Complete Machine cleaning checklist
- Cover for breaks and absentees
- Issue equipment and tools, issue and maintain production tools.
- Troubleshoot issues that arise, repair minor items, test/replace fuses, re-align motor chains, clear jams from shredders and grinders
- Provide constructive and timely feedback and performance evaluations.
- Verify Raw material has been pulled and end of row tags are completed
- Verify attendance and complete all necessary forms relating to attendance.
- Ensure smooth operation of production department
- Ensure high quality of finished material
- Ensure employees comply with applicable safety and MIOSHA/OSHA regulations, policies and procedures.
- Facilitate communication with other managers, Forklift drivers, and operators
- Complete Orientation Effectiveness checklist following orientation with HR
- Complete Position Training Effectiveness checklist with all new hires in production department
- Complete all necessary paperwork for Human Resources
- Including: HR Reporting forms, Shift Line Ups, disciplinary write ups, employee performance reviews and peer evaluations .
- Obtaining prior approval from the Production Manager for all overtime.
- Compile daily numbers into the production database
- On off shifts provide leadership for receiving
- Rotate coverage with other supervisors for scheduled Saturday production.
- Cover for other Shift Supervisors, as decided by production manager.
- Notify Management and Maintenance of equipment problems, fill out work orders.
- Direction of Others: Direct supervision of production employees and Receiving Fork Lift Operators.
- Participate in the interview and selection of all internal candidates.
- Provide instruction, training, certification.
- Designate work assignments
- Review work assignments for performance
- Establish performance measurable
- Conduct performance appraisals
- Address and resolve issues both systemically and individually
Education and Experience:
High School Diploma or equivalent required.
Experience in high volume manufacturing environment, plastics identification, and prior supervisory experience is beneficial. Should have full working knowledge of terminology specific to the plastics industry.
Knowledge, or an Aptitude and Willingness to Learn or obtain:
Forklift Driving/Safety certification and license
OSHA regulations (OSHA 10 training).
Understanding electrical, pneumatic and hydraulic systems.
Skills and Abilities:
Communicate effectively with staff, senior management, various internal departments, and customers from varied backgrounds, cultures, and experiences.
Read, analyze and interpret written information.
Strong ability to listen and facilitate resolution of conflicts.
Verbally present information effectively to diverse audiences and respond to questions.
Write correspondence, prepare reports and develop project proposals.
Provide timely praise and corrective feedback.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measuring, using whole numbers, common, fraction and decimals.
Leadership and Management Skills:
Ability to adjust to changing conditions and situations quickly.
Build effective working relationships with others.
Set goals and develops action plans.
Delegate responsibility and facilitate meetings.
Influence people to take action by building support from superiors, peers and subordinates.
Critically analyze alternatives, solve problems and make decisions.
Operate a personal computer, utilize Microsoft Office applications and use the internet.
Plan and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
Prioritize responsibilities, organize tasks and follow through to completion.
Research alternatives, conduct cost-benefit analysis and prepare recommendations.
Approachable, confident, energetic, outgoing and personable.
Assures quality by producing and expecting accurate and thorough work
Consistently works to improve self, staff, processes and procedures.
Demonstrates integrity by being accountable for actions, keeping commitments, and speaking honestly with others.
Desires to meet and exceed internal and external customer expectations.
Ability to quickly define problems, collect data, establish facts, draw solid conclusions and effectively respond to and resolve complex problems. Ability to interpret and forecast a variety of information and be able to manage multiple variables.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORK ENVIRONMENT
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand and walk. Use hands to operate standard office equipment, write, finger, handle, feel, reach with both hand and arm. Talk and hear. As needed, walk all areas of the plant from department to department. Physical demands are consistent for those found in a warehouse and production environment.
- Noise level is moderate to heavy and typical of a warehouse and production environment for the Plastics Recycling industry.
- While performing duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, walk and occasionally climb. Employee will regularly use hands to operate industrial forklift controls, finger, handle, feel and/or reach with both hands and arms. Talk and hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- High level of stress caused from tight deadlines and limited resources.
- Moderate level of mental and/or visual fatigue and eyestrain may result from looking at a computer screen for extended periods of time.
- Work outside of normal business hours, including weekends, will be required as necessary.
- Minimum travel is required.
- While performing the duties of this job, employees are exposed to moving mechanical parts, equipment, and machines.
ADDITIONAL SKILLS NEEDED AND/OR DESIRED:
- Possess supervisory experience and leadership skills.
- Possess strong organizational and administrative skills.
- Possess large scale warehousing experience, including plastics identification knowledge.
- Mechanical inclination, preferred.
- Possess working knowledge of personal computers. Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel Power Point and Outlook to complete reports, logs and employee evaluations).
- Be able to manage multiple projects and tasks, simultaneously.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.